With this year’s third Grand Slam just a few days away I started to scour different resources to brush up on the historic tournament. I’ve put together a list of several facts that should help any tennis fan breeze through a Wimbledon pop quiz!
• The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club is considered by many to be the most historic tennis tournament in the world. Wimbledon was founded all the way back in 1868. The first men’s singles tournament was held in 1877 and was won by Spencer Gore.
• The traditional Wimbledon colors are dark green and purple. However the dress code for the players is very strict. All participants are required to wear all white clothing. The always ‘radical’ Andre Agassi never was a fan of the dress code and even skipped the tournament because of it a couple times.
• The two trophies the champions of Wimbledon receive are quite unique and are special in their own right. The gentlemen’s victor receives a giant cup like trophy that has a classical vibe just like the tournament. The gentlemen’s trophy is 18½ inches tall and 7½ inches wide. The lid of the giant cup features a pineapple on top. The ladies champ gets a large plate style trophy that’s been referred to in the past as the “Rosewater Dish”. The dish is 18½ inches in diameter.
• Just like the other three Grand Slams, Wimbledon has had some dominant players in its long history.
Here are the gentlemen of the Open Era with the most titles:
Pete Sampras – 7 titles
Roger Federer – 6 titles
Bjorn Borg – 5 titles
The ladies who have racked up the most Open Era titles are:
Martina Navratilova – 9 titles
Steffi Graf – 7 titles
Venus Williams – 5 titles
• It’s been over 75 years since a British man won Wimbledon. The last gentleman to accomplish the feat was Fred Perry all the way back in 1936. Many have been waiting on Andy Murray (World No.4) to bring the title home to the Brits but he has yet to reach the finals of Wimbledon.
Latest posts by MWS - Admin (see all)
- Roger Federer’s New Pro Staff RF97 Racquet Preview - July 21, 2016
- adidas Barricade 2016 Alexander The Great Tennis Shoe - March 14, 2016